Join or Start a SoulPancake Meetup!
GET READY FOR SOME FACE TIME, SOULPANCAKERS!
We get it. You need a break from screens, gadgets and thumb cramps. You're annoyed because you just got into a pointless online fight with @pancakeman45 because you thought he was being sarcastic by capitalizing 'OK', when he was really just using proper grammar. You're craving eye-contact and sentences that ride sounds waves; subtle inflections and body language; and all the other intangible elements that make an in-person conversation so magical. Well, now's your chance to disconnect from the interweb and plug into the real world with the SoulPancake Book.
What is a SoulPancake Meetup?
Think of it as a book club without tasteless mini-quiches and know-it-all literature snobs asserting their mastery of the underlying neo-psychological themes in The Great Gatsby. There’s no rule book. No dress code. No age limit. Just a goal - to gather together the thinkers, artists, poets, entrepreneurs, dreamers, innovators, and misfits, who seek to stamp out stigmas, shake up truths, and experience what happens when tons of ideas about creativity, philosophy, and spirituality collide.
How do I start a SoulPancake Meetup?
The most important thing is that you kick-start your creative juices and shape your Meetup into something uniquely you. Maybe start a weekly Meetup at a coffee shop and tackle a chapter each time. Or go flashmob style and spark an impromptu Meetup in the middle of Hollywood for a round of Reverse Pickpocket. Just get people interacting and swirling their brains together in a cacophony of creative energy. We believe in you. Jump in and have fun!
- Grab the book. (or if you don't have the book, just pick some SP Exclusives from the site)
- Go to http://meetup.com/soulpancake and sign up.
- Schedule a Meetup and invite your friends.
- Rinse and repeat.
EXAMPLE #1: CHILL OUT AND CHAT
- Get together with some friends in a cozy place and pick one chapter from the SoulPancake book.
Go through the pages of the chapter in order:
- Start by reading the INTRO at the beginning of the chapter. Compare your thoughts.
- For LIFE’S BIG QUESTIONS, first read the quotes & factoids. Then, have everyone answer the main question. Let the discussion unfold. Want to dig deeper? You’ve got three extra questions on each page.
- For CREATIVE CHALLENGES, roll up your sleeves and follow the directions. (You might have to round up some simple materials beforehand.) Show off your creations and talk about your experiences.
- For LIFE’S LITTLE LISTS, have each person write their list on a piece of paper. Mix up the lists, then take turns reading them. Try to guess who wrote what.
- Wrap up your MeetUp by REDEFINING the word at the end of the chapter. Share your epiphanies.
- If you like how it goes, Meetup again!
EXAMPLE #2: GET UP AND GO!
- Pick one creative challenge from the SoulPancake book. You have 27 to choose from.
- Find a place where you can get together to tackle this challenge.
- Document the experience. Snap pictures. Tweet. Update your status. The usual.
- Grab some coffee afterwards and talk about how it went.
- Vote on the next challenge you’ll tackle. Then set a date and Meetup again!
IS THERE ALREADY A MEETUP NEAR ME?
Maybe! Go to http://meetup.com/soulpancake or check out the fancy map widget below!